Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Overpowered Maps!

Fleeing a terrible crime, Taliyah bat Shammai makes her way toward a city of refuge.  Yet can even a band of seven outlaws protect her from the Avenger of Blood?  Overpowered is coming soon!  (Well... it's coming in October... but I'm thinking about it all the time, so that makes it seem sooner, right?)

This is the map for "Overpowered."  I'm still fiddling with it--getting the text labels and the cliffs to behave has been a struggle--but it's starting to look pretty good.  (I love maps.  I've probably spent way too much time making tiny adjustments on this one.)  If I do a paperback release as well as an ebook release of my story, I'll probably start from scratch and make a black and white version.  (Did I mention that I love maps?)


Anyone have any feedback?  I've been staring at this so long I can't tell what I might need to fix.

For those who are interested, I made this map using Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3+ package.  It's actually pretty easy to use (when you aren't trying to do a software upgrade in the middle of working on your map!).  You can make cool maps very quickly.  I made things a lot harder for myself by insisting on a high level of geographical and historical accuracy.   They have a lot of beautiful town and house symbols, as well as some magical creatures and what have you.  (But none of them are exactly like ancient Israelite houses... or exactly like the magical creatures I have in my head... *sigh*)

I have another map in the works... it's a close up battle map which I can't finish until I find some house symbols I like.  (Four-room houses, Profantasy!  That's what we need!)

How about you guys?  Is there a book you've read that had a really good map in it?  Any books that don't have maps but need them?

No comments:

Post a Comment